Words of Affirmation
We all need them. We all want them. We need to give them more frequently and more intentionally.
Recently, I acquired a box of Kindness Cards from a fabulous business named Thimblepress at the Indie Craft Parade held by the Makers Collective, which is an amazing local artisan festival in Greenville. These Kindness cards are for every occasion to give someone a happy surprise and some kind words to brighten their day. I love words of affirmation, so I was immediately drawn to them. They are fun, funky, and friendly.
Kindness Cards are not the only way we can affirm other people on a regular basis. You never know what's going on with a person on the inside unless you are specific about asking caring questions and being genuine about listening and responding. Essentially, I believe we need more of this in the world, so here are mine for you:
1. You are important. We all have something to contribute to the world, and that's why you are unique.
2. Speak and smile often. The world needs your happiness.
3. Take time for the people, places, and events that are vital to your well-being and happiness. We all need to take a break, whether that is a walk, a conversation, or an adventure. The combination of all three is awesome too.
4. Whatever you do, you do it well. Don't doubt yourself because there are people out there who admire and respect you for your efforts.
5. Most importantly, know that you have a support network. Whether that is in person or online, you have people who care about you and who want you to succeed. We all have bumps in the road, but the people who are a part of your life are the ones who matter and will always comfort and encourage you.
In the words of the fabulous Amy Poehler, "Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life."
Words of affirmation can come from anywhere, and here are mine to you. I hope that you take these to heart and realize that you are you for a reason. Embrace it!
Lucky Strike of the Day: It's almost fall break at Furman! This weekend is Fall for Greenville, a huge food and music festival. If you're around Greenville, check it out!